Lecture series for new health care professionals in critical and high acuity care settings
Regional subject matter experts from nursing and medicine
The Virtual Fall Critical Care Consortium 2020
A 6-day fundamental critical care program designed to meet the beginning educational content needs of nurses providing care for adolescent to elderly populations. The content will be presented through lectures, handouts, and case studies by regional nursing and various clinical experts.
1) Introduction of core critical care concepts to nurses entering critical care practice.
2) Provide a theoretical base for clinical decisions made in critical care units.
- Cardiovascular & Hemodynamics
- Pulmonary Concepts & Pathologies & Mechanical Ventilation
- Critically-Ill Surgical Patient & Vasoactive Drugs
- Neurological, Analgesia & Anesthesia Issues
- Renal, Shock, Coagulopathies, Fluid Resuscitation & Gastrointestinal Issues
- Temporary Pacing, Nutrition, Endocrine & Drug Overdose
Program, Course Dates, & Schedule Topics:
The course runs 6 seperate dates. Tickets will be able to be purchased for entire course or individual dates when registering. The dates for the course are as follows. This will be offered virtually!
- October 19th & 20th
- November 2nd & 3rd
- November 16th & 17th
Day 1- October 19th, 2020 0730-1515
- Acute Coronary Syndrome
- Valvular Heart Disease
- Temporary Cardiac Pacing
- Endocrine Concepts: DKA, HHS, DI, & SIADH
- Transition to Critical Care Nursing
Day 2- October 20th, 2020 0730-1700
- Hemodynamic Monitoring: Basic Concepts and Techniques
- The Pathophysiology, Assessement and Treatment of Shock
- Vasoactive & Anitarrhythmic Medications
- Care of the Critically-ill Surgical Patient
Day 3-November 2nd, 2020 0730-1600
- General Pulmonary Concepts
- Airway Management & Mechanical Ventilation
- Pulmonary Critical Care: Pulmonary Embolus, and Restrictive/Obstructive Disease
- Pulmonary Critical Care: ARDS
Day 4-November 3rd, 2020 0730-1615
- Neuroscience in Critical Care
- Donor Management in the ICU
- Anesthesia Recovery
- Analgesia, Sedation, & Neuromusclar Blockade
Day 5-November 16th, 2020 0730-1600
- Hemodynamic Case Studies
- Gastrointestinal issues: Liver Failure, Acute Pancreatitis, and Bleeds
- Renal Concepts
- Coagulapathies and DIC
Day 6-November 17th, 2020 0730-1545
- Cardiovascular Concepts: Heart Failure
- Drug Overdose
- Nutritional Support in the Critically-Ill Patient
- Neurocognitive Effects in the ICU
Fee structure is based on employment as a Registered Nurses or status as a pre-licensure student nurse.
GPC Consortium facilities include:
- Oregon Health & Science University Hospital
- Portland Adventist
- Salem Health
- Legacy Health System
- PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center
- Portland Veterans Administration Medical Center
- OHSU Health Hillsboro Medical Center (formerly Tuality Healthcare)
- Kaiser Permanente Health System
- Registered Nurse Entire Course $300, Single day $75
- Student (Pre-licensure): Entire course $75
Nurses beginning clinical practice in critical care and high acuity care areas.
Approval for contact hours
The consortium committee reserves the right to cancel a scheduled course for low enrollment or extenuating circumstances related to the COVID-19 Pandemic. You will be given 4 weeks notice if this occurs. If a course cancelled- for paying participants full refunds will be issued.
If an individual cancels course registration, refunds will be considered on an individual basis.